Michele in the News
Chicago man accused of sexually abusing 2 sleeping girls within 20 minutes of each other
Summary: Talking about the arrest of Hunter Best. AMS is mentioned – “Alderman Michele Smith thanked police for their work and said the videos which were obtained from the community “proved crucial to the apprehension of this offender.””
City Council poised to approve 2 percent home-sharing fee for domestic violence
Publication: Chicago Sun-Times
Summary: 2 percent increase on tax for new home sharing fee. AMS is mentioned and quoted “Ald. Michele Smith (43rd), whose Lincoln Park ward is home to more than 500 Airbnb listings, led the charge against the 2016 ordinance that regulated the home-sharing industry.” and “Smith supports the concept of using home-sharing surcharges to support domestic violence victims.” in addition to a few other quotes.
In Q&A, Alderman Brian Hopkins makes it clear Sterling Bay’s $5B project won’t start without his blessing
Publication: The Real Deal
Summary: Hopkins explains aldermanic prerogative and his opinion on the Lincoln Yards development in an interview. When asked about taxpayer money potentially being used on Lincoln Yards’ public transit and road developments, Hopkins includes a line about financing the park, mentioning AMS: “It’s a question of how we get to $200 million, and Alderman [Michele] Smith [43rd] has suggested some kind of local property tax surcharge like an SSA to help pay for that, and I reject that out of hand. It has to be a citywide base, because it will be of a citywide benefit. So we can’t put special burdens on [local] taxpayers to help pay for this.”
“A law that was designed to fail”: Aldermen want more enforcement of Airbnb-like vacation rentals
Date: Oct 8, 2018
Summary: Despite passing an ordinance in June of 2016, many of Chicago’s Alderman are calling for stronger enforcement and legislation against short term vacation rentals. Ald. Michele Smith would like to raise money to enforce legislation by increasing licensing fees. She would also like to end the practice of renting out homes while licenses are pending.
The Car2go pilot putters into action
Summary: Explains the floating carsharing surface. Mentions the no service area northside and AMS– “As a result, the “home zone” goes no farther south than Cermak, excluding virtually the entire south side, and there’s a major crater in the coverage area on the north side, since Lakeview and Lincoln Park Alderman Tom Tunney and Michele Smith refused to participate.
- Belmont Village opens info center as construction continues in Lincoln Park – https://www.rejournals.com/belmont-village-opens-info-center-as-construction-continues-in-lincoln-park-20181109
- Lincoln Yards Meeting To Offer ‘Actual Developer Plans’: Alderman – https://patch.com/illinois/lincolnpark/lincoln-yards-meeting-offer-actual-developer-plans-alderman
- City Wants New TIF District To Support Lincoln Yards But Alderman Challenges Move – https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/11/08/carving-out-new-taxing-district-to-support-lincoln-yards-prompts-public-meeting/
- Ald. Michele Smith Praises Cmdr. Bauer’s Work, Ideas About Youth Crime – https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/02/14/alderman-michele-smith-bauers-work-ideas-youth-crime/
- Emanuel still gets some love in Lincoln Park – https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg-hinz-politics/emanuel-still-gets-some-love-lincoln-park
- North Side alderman supports 24-acre riverfront park, if it can be funded – https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-north-side-park-funding-ryan-ori-20180502-story.html